Sales and marketing
No matter what line of business you are in, sales and marketing will be an essential element in growing your enterprise.
Whether you have a marketing department or the marketing department is you, here are some elementary ideas for improving your performance.
- Make sure your products or services are distinguishable from your competitors'
- Monitor your competitors' marketing activities, and change your own as appropriate
- Have a marketing plan - and follow it!
- Aim to provide a regular stream of new customers
- Respond quickly to customer complaints, investigate the causes and fix the problems
- When you lose a customer, contact them and find out why
- Uncover customers' needs. Find out what they really want from your business
- Keep advertising expenditure within industry norms. Over-advertising smacks of desperation, under-advertise and no-one knows who you are
- Search for new markets for your products or services
- Keep your existing customers aware of all you can offer
- Actively look at new products or services
- Keep your sales forecasts and statistics up to date and distribute them to appropriate employees
- Make sure that staff who come into contact with your customers or clients have high morale and present a positive image of your company and its products and services
- Use your remuneration structure to motivate and reward sales people
- Invest in sales-focussed training for your non-marketers (show them how they can have an impact on sales)
Evaluate the performance of your sales team and provide training where needed.